I’ve noticed that everything we do now has many steps. A simple trip to Target has become a Big Deal that must happen at a certain time (between feedings), with the proper equipment (stroller? just the carrier? list of items sorted by store geography?) and in the proper chronology (before groceries? after library? on my way home or on Rob’s). As someone who is generally aware of details even on a bad day, sometimes I just get worn out by the logistics.
A new variable is “who do we need to tell”? We like to keep people in the Loop (hence the blog) but Ava has created a significant level of interest in our doings. Our Loop has gotten large. Active players in our current Ava Is Too Sick For Daycare Loop (more on that in a minute) include both of our employers, the lead teacher at Daycare, Very Wise Doctor, Dad & Florence, a network of concerned aunties who are generous with both help and wisdom, and my assistant. Coordinating all of these players has given me wrinkly lines between my eyebrows, let me tell you.
Yes, Ava is sick. Booooo. She has what has been confirmed to be a mild case of RSV. Don’t panic. Really. While RSV can be something scary and awful involving hospitalization, Ava’s is manifesting itself much like a medium-strength cold. No temperature or wheezing, some coughing and congestion. Her appetite is good, wet and poopy diapers are coming at us steadily (such things are very important, much like the wetness/dryness of a dog’s nose to determine illness. Who knew?). She’s a bit crabby (sore throat maybe?) but that could just be because she’s my kid and crabby is a dominant gene. Whatever. Most of the time she’s squirmy and smiley and isn’t slowed down by being sick.
I took her to see Very Wise Doctor on Friday, and he tested her for RSV because he heard the cough and had a hunch. She was at Daycare yesterday (yikes, sorry to inflict Typhoid Ava on 4 other unsuspecting babies…) but is out for the rest of the week. Rob is home with her today. She’s back at VWD tomorrow morning, and unless she’s cleared to go back to Daycare, she’ll be crashing with Gramps & Grams for the rest of the week. I called Daycare to let them know. That was a fun conversation:
Me (out loud): Hi, this is Ava’s mom. She won’t be in this week, as we’ve confirmed that she has RSV.
Me (in my head): Listen you people she has been at your facility for TWO WEEKS and she has freaking RSV?! What the hell are you people doing over there? Do I get a refund for this week or is that part of the screw-you fee I get to pay for not being a stay-at-home-mom?
Lead Teacher (out loud): Oh no! Thank you so much for telling us! We hope she’s OK!
Lead Teacher (in her head): Holy crap I hope this lady doesn’t think she caught it here even though her kid’s been here only two weeks oh jeez she caught it here.
Me (out loud): What do we need to do to clear her to come back?
Me (in my head): Crap I hope she didn’t pass it along.
LT (out loud): A note from her doctor is all we need. Poor baby!
LT (in her head): Crap I hope she doesn’t call the licensing board because this stuff happens whenever you get babies in a room together. At least she called and told us though. Best. Mom. Ever! (I’m paraphrasing here)
Yeah. So she’s fine. Ava will get some quality time with my dad, which I’ll help her recover from when she’s older (KIDDING, DAD!). Seriously, we’re so lucky that they are willing, able, and available to take care of her for a few days while she gets better. And, from what I understand, she’ll most likely be back to normal within a week. We’ll keep you posted.
2 comments:
I love your blog!! And by the way-that could've nade you $10,000. Just sayin'...
Poor Ava, not for the RSV, that'll pass, but for being stuck home, all day, alone............WITH DADDY!!!!!!!!!!! She'll never be "right" again. Do you know what he does when he is alone with young children(somehow that sounds so wrong!)?? Ask my kids, their vocabularies "improved" alot when Rob babysat. NOT!!! Potty words and bad things galore. Send her to me and I can undo the damage. LOL
Post a Comment