Perhaps I set the bar too high by not insisting that our wedding be at a key moment in a major sports season. It was in May, which means that baseball season was just getting underway. There were no high-impact games happening on our wedding weekend, and we had a lovely, non sports kind of day.

Seriously.
I'm a planner. Everybody who knows me, knows this. I'm very much interested in making sure that the stuff that happens to me happens in a nice, orderly fashion. I've kind of let this go as far as the whole "having a baby" thing is concerned. We're not in charge here, and we've accepted that as a fact.
At least, I have. It wasn't easy, either.
So now, here we are at the end of the regular football season. The Cowboys may or may not make it into the playoffs, and we'll know next week after they play the Eagles. While I am interested in the outcome (GO COWBOYS!) I have a few other things going on that are just a bit more, um, pressing. I accept the fact that I may miss the game. Because I may be DELIVERING A CHILD INTO THIS WORLD.
Rob is a Chargers fan. Oh, wait, let me amend. He is a Chargers SUPER fan. We have stickers on the back of the Honda that proclaim his allegiance to his team. He has a vanity license plate that refers to the "bolts". License plate frame is Chargers. We have one of those pink football Ladanian Tomlinson jersey onesies that should fit Speck perfectly next season. I knew what I was getting into before I married him. We went to a Chargers/Cowboys game in 2005 and he was rather displeased when the Cowboys won and I was happy and vocal (or "mouthy") about it. Hmpf.
Next Sunday night, the Chargers play the Broncos for the AFC West title. Being a SuperFan, he's SuperExcited. And as he's skipping around the living room making grunty noises about beating the Broncos (let's face it, beating the Broncos is always a good thing) and how awesome it will be to watch that, he notices me standing in the kitchen and says, and I quote "Please please please don't go into labor on Sunday."
Oh. OK baby. I'll get right on that. Because I'm in charge of all of this. And even if I weren't in charge, I'm sure that we have created a child who is not only already aware of our hopes (like being able to watch the games next weekend) but also entirely willing to delay (or hurry) her arrival in order to make us happy.
But I'm not mad. Oh, no. I understand that there are things going on in this world besides the birth of our child. If I do decide to go into labor on Sunday (because after all it is up to me) I'm sure there will be a TV in the delivery room and we'll be able to watch the Chargers beat the Broncos, and even after having watched the Cowboys beat the Eagles. And we'll laugh about this business about how we worried about missing our games. I do hope the Chargers win, and that they win through the playoffs and make it to the Super Bowl.
Where they will meet the Cowboys again, for the first time (besides pre-season) since 2005. Go Cowboys.
3 comments:
Ok, he did not get my memo.....that day is NOT about jokes or football. You know, the nurses will hide the remote if you ask, or tell him your tv happens to be broken.............I will pray you DO go into labor that day, better yet, Sat on Molly's birthday, she would love that. I would just love to see the look on his face when he realizes that the game is meaningless in even his most die-hard eyes, when it comes to that baby girl............keep us posted.
Somehow, I don't think Rob had really quite grasped the full impact of "live as you know it changes".
But, I do agree with Beth that once he sees her, it'll all be meaningless.
Love you guys and SO happy for you.
Go Chargers!!
Post a Comment