Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mooooovin' on up!

So one day a couple of months ago, I realized that my commute made me want to kill myself.

Well, not really, but that drive is really a terrible way to start and end one's day.  The daily traffic report was usually just a narration of what was in store for me.  An hour after I left home in the morning, I arrived at my office.  An hour or more after I left my office in the evening, I would get home.  We've been eating dinner at 6:30 every night, and that makes the rest of the evening rushed and hectic.

We're in the northwest part of town, which is lovely, but it's just such a pain in the ass to get just about anywhere.  We started talking about where else in town we could live.  After an exhaustive two-week search, we found a house.  Not only am I shaving 15 miles off my commute (EACH FREAKING WAY), but Rob is knocking 15 miles off his frequent shleps to the airport AND we're gaining 1000 square feet of house.

WIN!

It's happened pretty quickly.  We're likely going to close on the new (to us) house on March 31.  We're looking to move  the 2nd weekend of April.  This means that we have approximately 40 days to put all of our stuff in boxes.  Anyone who knows me knows that I've already started packing.  Anyone who REALLY knows me knows that I have a packing schedule laid out and that I have a spreadsheet of where stuff will go in the new house.  Anyone who has to live with me just shakes his head and lets me go on with my bad self, and he'll thank me in two months when we've executed a stress-free relocation.

So that's the news.  It's very exciting, and we think we've found a really lovely place where our little family can settle and thrive.  It will also be very nice to gain back one entire hour every single day that can be spent doing something other than flipping off assholes in traffic commuting.