We are currently in parenting hell.
Ava bit Rob at bedtime. Biting is an immediately punishable offense, but that punishment is mitigated instantly by the word "Sorry". Punishment consists of Time Out, and a stern description of why Time Out is necessary.
All she needed to do was say "Sorry". We explained it more than once. We said "When you bite, it hurts, and saying 'sorry' makes it better" but she would not say it. We asked if she understood and she said "OK" which is the same as "yes". We sang the "Don't! Don't! Don't Bite Your Friends!" song from Yo Gabba Gabba. We said "If you don't say 'sorry' then it's bedtime right now, and Daddy won't rock you in the chair" and she got upset and said No! and held on tighter, but she needs to say she's sorry.
She needs to learn this lesson. Right? Sigh.
She cried that awful screeching angry cry that you only hear in times of extreme injustice. She cried for me, which kills me. Ooof. We went back in, picked her up, and explained it again. She knows that if she says "Sorry" then she'll get to cuddle in the rocking chair with me or Rob. But she will not say it.
She's awake and she's talking to Elmo and Monkey and Bear and Other Bear, and if we hear her tell them she's sorry, that may be good enough. That will give us something to work with. Man, this sucks.
We're going to order her some birthday gifts that are laden with guilt, because while we know it's our job to teach her that saying "Sorry" is important, we're hanging by a thread. Elton John was right--Sorry seems to be the hardest word. We're sorry too, little Boopy, but you just don't bite anyone. Ever.
2 comments:
Hannah is a biter. And she knows it is wrong because she will say "Not nice". But, yet, she still bites. I think this is why people tend to get re-pregnant BEFORE our kids' ages. LOL If you wait until after, you may rethink it.
Kristie I had gotten behind on your blog and I'm so glad I caught up :) I could have written so many of your sentiments. Especially this one. Parenting sucks and making your kid sad is sometimes VERY necessary. You're doing a great job :) I hope I am too!
Post a Comment