So last Sunday, my heart broke.
Pebbles was the sweetest dog in the world. She was perfect. She went outside when she needed to. She slept on the floor next to our bed. She was as contented as we were, but for one extremely significant exception: Pebbles did not like Ava.
On Saturday, they just kind of avoided each other. We chalked it up to new environment, unfamiliar surroundings, everybody getting used to everybody else, and so on. Sunday, Ava wanted to pet Pebbles, and Pebbles didn't like it. Pebbles bristled her fur, and curled up her lips into a scary snarl, and she growled a low warning. Her tail got still. We got Ava away as quickly as we could, and then we noticed that Pebbles was shaking. She was looking at us as if she knew what she had done was not OK, but she couldn't help it.
We can't help it either. We are responsible dog owners, sure, but we're responsible parents first. Some may say that we were foolish to bring a Rottweiler into a house with a child, as everybody knows that Rottweilers are aggressive and frequently vicious. I don't really buy into that--every dog has its stars and scapegoats. I've known sweeties of all breeds, and I'm not about to condemn a breed with a broad brush.
But this is my kid. I would reach into a bowl of spiders (shudder/cringe/gag) for Ava. And because of that, we could not keep Pebbles. The ladies at the Humane Society assured us that they understood, and that there was no judgment for our decision. Rob made it clear that the only issue was the one that was our dealbreaker, and now they will be able to give her to a family who is better suited for a lovely old girl like her. She's going to make someone a great pet and companion, I know. She's such a sweet girl, and she was so well taken care of, that I have faith that there is a happy ending in her future.
But my heart still broke.
1 comment:
:( Love you. You know you did the right thing, and we all do too. xoxoxo
Post a Comment