Saturday, August 1, 2009

Perhaps The Answer Is More Obvious Than That

There have been times in the past 6 months where we proceeded with much fanfare and confidence in an entirely incorrect direction. Early on, we tried to stop hysterical, purple-faced crying with a binky and a 3AM car ride, under the auspices of "She's tired, and this will soothe her." The appropriate solution to such a situation was, in fact, feeding her.

And then we had a terrible issue with "How are we going to keep her from getting spit-up all over her clothes and causing a rash if we don't change her quickly enough?" Yeah. That's what bibs are for, genius.

The most recent example of the view of the trees being blocked by the forest is in the previous post regarding orange food. Ava did not sleep on two days when she ate orange food. Ava hates orange food! No more orange food! Hooray!



I'm reminded of a scene from one of my favorite movies:



Orange food is like the cans. Ava is the guy with the gun. And we're Navin Johnson.

Hey, Einstein, maybe she's teething. Maybe the reason her sleep is changing is that she's 6-1/2 months old and her freaking teeth are coming in. Maybe her little mouth is starting to hurt because underneath the surface of her little gums ARE TEETH.

Oof.

In a related story, Baby Tylenol is a marvelous solution, allowing her to sleep, which allows us to sleep. And since sleep begets sleep, she is now back in the habit of sleeping through a big chunk of night. And so are we.

4 comments:

Kate said...

I know 100 people will have 100 different opinions, but I thought I'd share what we do regarding teeth... we use the teething tablets. You can find them right there in the aisle with the ora-gel(sp??) stuff. really really helpful. Mark's teething too! It's crazy!

Beanie said...

I love that you tagged this with "duh".

Love even more that you guys are figuring this out, day by day. Keep up the good work, Momma.

Stephanie said...

You & Rob are doing a great job with Ava, no worries. She's clearly a happy, healthy, well-loved & cared-for kid. I'm sure it would be nice if kids came with manuals like the iPod or the car, but since they don't, you just gotta feel your way through it. You don't have to be Einstein, you just gotta keep loving her the way you do & she'll be just fine!! Love you!

Anonymous said...

This is funny to me because often I feel the same way. Parenting is definitely more of an art than a science so don't put too much pressure on yourself to be Einstein-like.